Monday 29 April 2013

Monday Moan: Time to revitalise the Corrie women!


(This post was originally posted by Graeme N on the Coronation Street Blog in April 2013.)

Some of the more mature ladies of Weatherfield are really grating on my nerves at the moment. For me, this is a great shame as I've always seen Corrie being about strong women of a certain age. At the moment they are just not doing it for me.

Let's look at the evidence:

Deirdre Barlow

Known for: Fags, big belts, big bins and dodgy pottery.
Desperately needs to: Show Tracy-luv the door and regain her self-respect.

Eileen Grimshaw

Known for: hopeless men, lodgers that never leave and fighting in the street with Gail.
Desperately needs to: ditch the fireman and visit the hairdressers (not Audrey's!)

Gail McIntyre

Known for: wearing tabards, fluttering her eyelashes and slowing turning into Ivy Tilsley.
Desperately needs to: stop interfering and skivying for her sons and get her own life!

Anna Windass

Known for: having an annoying adopted daughter which has caused a personality transplant.
Desperately needs to: ditch the daughter and the bullyboy boyfriend and bring back cake-making Eddie!

Mary Taylor

Known for: theme nights, an impossibly large motorhome and stalking Norris Cole.
Desperately needs to: leave Weatherfield due to a crushing storyline shortage.

I believe all of the above characters have come unstuck in recent times. Other Corrie ladies like Rita, Audrey, Sally and Hayley have faired better though my only complaint is that we really just don't see enough of them.

In all seriousness though, these women need to be the cornerstone of our favourite cobbled street. In my opinion there is an urgent need for the Corrie storyliners and writing team to come up with the goods for these performers.

All of them (apart from Mary) can easily be turned around with decent stories. Come on Mr Blackburn, time to revitalise some of Coronation Street's most loyal and longstanding characters! 

*You'll notice that St Ella hasn't reared her head in this blog. I haven't really got a lot more to say about her for the moment. There has been no change on screen so I have nothing further to add. 




Follow the Bluenose CorrieBlog on Twitter and Facebook

2 comments:

K Bron J said...

Yeah, I'm really disappointed with Eileen. I really love her and it's like she never gets a chance at love - every time she falls in love, the guy dies or leaves or whatever. I had high hopes with the fireman but she just sabotaged herself. It's like she doesn't think she deserves to be happy. Ugh!

Anonymous said...

Since when is Mary a trained chef? From I what I understood watching last night's eppie she is employed at the Bistro??? Then when she couldn't have another one of her annoying theme nights she insults Nick and Leeanne and storms out of the bistro! Have I missed something? Seems that Mary is like Stella and is constantly being shoehorned into scenes where she doesn't belong. I have never been a fan of Mary and would love to see the back of her. When is the new producer going to start the cull the sooner the better for this fan!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...