Thursday 18 April 2013

What will the Barlow family do next?

(This post was originally posted by Graeme N on the Coronation Street Blog in April 2013.)

I saw a sneak preview photo on corrie.net showing what looked to be a somewhat fraught family dinner (aren't they always?) at the Barlow household. Apart from Ken and Deirdre, Carla and Peter were present as were Tracy and Rob. 

For a brief moment I was a tiny bit interested in this and then I realised it would involve more scenes with Tracy and Rob. I know there was publicity about their much heralded "romance" but it has played out quite quietly until now. Something I'm sure the majority of us are quite pleased about. Anyway, it looks as if the Barlow family will be coming back to the fore in the coming weeks. Is this something you are happy about?
I love Ken and Deirdre for some of the same reasons I love Gail and Audrey - the history and longevity of their characters. However do we think Ken and Deirdre still have a lot to give to Coronation Street? It has been ages since Deirdre had a proper storyline and quite frankly the reappearance of Tracy has almost ruined Deirdre's character as far as I'm concerned. However Corrie has always been about the more mature woman so let's hope they take her in an interesting direction soon. And while I am on the subject, we may have seen Julie and Eileen grovel for Tyrone's forgiveness, but what about Deirdre? She gave pretty damning, unpleasant evidence against him in court but is yet to apologise on screen.

As for Ken, well I only hope any future storylines take him in a different direction from the constant affairs he always seems to be having. I know Ken is younger than Bill Roache is in real life, but surely enough is enough? I would love Joanna Lumley to make an appearance as his 70s love Elaine Perkins, but hopefully the writers could come up with something more interesting than an affair.
I also really enjoy both Peter and Carla, two characters who seem to have been rested quite a bit since their return. Not a bad idea really as they were in danger of being completely over exposed. 

While I worry they do not have a long term future, especially once Leanne finds out about Nick and Kylie, as she is bound to do, I hope we see them come back to the fore in the near future.
 
What I can't stand is the idea of Tracy with Rob. Or indeed Tracy with anyone. Or indeed Rob with anyone. Talk about two weak links! I dread to think what the writers have in store for this duo. Or maybe that's just me.
 Sadly I think the Barlow family has never quite recovered from losing Blanche. Every so often the writers will throw a Blanche line in Deirdre's direction but it's really just not the same. She really was the heart and soul of the family and the Barlow's front room just seems a bit empty without her.
So what do you all think about the Barlow family in 2013? What would you like to see them get up to? Are they still an integral part of Corrie for you or do you think it is time we moved on?


Follow the Bluenose CorrieBlog on Twitter and Facebook

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...