Friday 22 November 2013

Toxic Tracy, tedious Tina and Todd the troublemaker

(This post was originally posted by Graeme N on the Coronation Street Blog in October 2013.)

I really was looking forward to the return of Todd Grimshaw. His original stint in Coronation Street was very successful and the coming-out storyline well scripted and well handled by all concerned. However, reading the spoilers for next weeks episodes, it looks as if our Todd has had a personality transplant since leaving to live in that London.


Going on next weeks episodes there appears to be a touch of the Tracy Barlow about Mr Grimshaw these days. The previously intelligent, thoughtful, caring character now apparently boasts the dubious qualities of a lying manipulator.

He's also gone from a promising young student to someone else desparate for a job in the Bistro. I think we all know what Nick will make of that development. It is also such a cliche that Todd would attempt to split up Marcus and Maria, if the rumours are true. I think Corrie can do better than this.


It just seems such a shame to me. Nice characters need not be boring, so I don't know why we have to suffer through so many mean, nasty feuds these days. The current Tracy, Tina spat is about as exciting as watching paint dry. Characters being at each others throats all the time isn't necessarily dramatic and involving for us viewers. Corrie have of course pulled this trick before. The powers that be brought back both Amber and Sunita, did nothing with them of any note, then transformed their previously pleasant characters into very much the complete opposite. The ruining of Sunita's character in particular was embarrassing and uncomfortable to watch. Let's just hope Todd doesn't go the same way.


I know it is far too early to judge, I just get very frustrated with my favourite soap when I see patterns repeating themselves. Let's hope Todd's return to Weatherfield does eventually live up to my expectations. I'm not saying I want a rehash of what he did during his original stint, however it would be great to see evidence of this character having matured and developed for the better during his absence.




Follow the Bluenose CorrieBlog on Twitter and Facebook

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree! I have been thoroughly enjoying the return of Liz, who has been at the centre of a number of cozy chats that have been gems. I particularly liked the conversation over tea in the cab office with Eileen and Steve. Funny and fun. As was her conversation with Sean and Gail -- that's how I like my men; Brutal? Psycho? hahaha

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...