Sunday 14 July 2013

Why Sylvia Goodwin is Corrie gold


(This post was originally posted by Graeme N on the Coronation Street Blog in June 2013.)

Oh how I love Stephanie Cole in Coronation Street. Sylvia Goodwin is just lighting up the screen at the moment and in my opinion, definitely adds something extra to the Cropper family.

Initially I wasn't sure of her character. Her first stint was bogged down by the fairly terrible storyline involving her romance with The Man From Uncle, Milton Fanshawe. However since Sylvia has returned to Weatherfield, her character has just grown in stature. Sylvia Goodwin now has light and shade. Yes she is capable of the withering putdown and the sharp aside, but she is so very much more than that.

Sylvia very obviously loves good old Roy very much - theirs is a touching relationship of many layers, both funny and achingly sad at the same time. Roy, Hayley and Sylvia have certainly meshed well as characters and they have been a joy to watch of late. It's just such a shame this trio will be broken up early next year with the departure of Hayley.

When Sylvia first arrived she was positioned as a Blanche Hunt replacement. I guess that's why it took me a while to warm to her. There really is just no replacing Blanche. The closest we'll get to that is through her daughter Deirdre - and that would seem like a natural development to me. Sylvia has become her own character and that's why it works. Unlike the other big name of a similar ilk which sadly hasn't. The difference between Sylvia and Gloria Price is like night and day. It's really odd that this has happened as Sue Johnston is just as talented as Stephanie Cole. I guess these things just work or they don't.


Anyway, I'm loving Sylvia Goodwin at the moment and I hope Ms Cole decides to stay in Corrie for the foreseeable future. I think the relationship between Sylvia and Roy will become even more interesting if rumours on Hayley's departure turn out to be true.

So tell me, what are your views on Corrie's Sylvia? 



Follow the Bluenose CorrieBlog on Twitter and Facebook

1 comment:

Rose said...

I absolutely agree.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...