Monday 27 August 2012

Michelle Collins considered quitting Corrie because of dodgy accent

Michelle Collins, who plays my least favourite character in Coronation Street, St Ella of the Back Room, is all over the front of the Sun's TV Magazine today saying: “I’m definitely not quitting.”  Oh.

She talks about the criticism she received for her dodgy Northern accent when she first joined Corrie. But it hasn't improved, has it? It's still all over the place. Look, I'm not a St Ella fan. I've tried, really, really hard, but I can't get to like her. I don't find her watchable, she's not lovable and I absolutely hate that she's forced into our faces in almost every scene of every storyline in every episode, saving souls in the back room of the Rovers Return.

This week's Corrie has been more enjoyable of late because she has been in it less. And you notice her absence because it's like a high pitched whine that's been turned off and you can get on and enjoy the business of your favourite soap rather than having to try to blot out a character I can not, just can not, enjoy.

I know she's got her fans, lots of people like St Ella but I'm not one of them and the sooner she goes, the happier this fan will be.

About that continued ropey accent Michelle says: “It was a real shock when the press criticised my accent, because I’d ‘done northern’ before and never been criticised for it. I did get to the point where I said to people high up: ‘Should I just resign? I’ve had enough. I can’t do this.’ But they said no, absolutely not. They told me to fight it and get through it. So I did.”
“The enormity of the criticism made me too scared to watch Corrie on the telly. I still can’t.” 

Follow the Bluenose CorrieBlog on Twitter and Facebook

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...