Friday 12 August 2011

How old is Deirdre's chain belt?

(This post was originally posted by Seapenguin and Flaming Nora on the Coronation Street Blog in September, 2010, reposted with permission.)

I was just wondering about Deirdre Barlow's chain belt. I thought that she only had the one - a gold-coloured one - but clearly the one shown in this photo is different - kind of silvery with a black leather-style detail.

As far as I can remember - and I've not been taking my Gingko Biloba as regularly as I should - chain belts came into fashion in the mid to late sixties. And went out again maybe in the early seventies. I'm not sure I've seen one for sale since about 1976 but I'm no fashion expert and maybe I don't go to the right places.

At any rate I'd say Deirdre's chain belt ranks with Liz McDonald's zig zag necklace-thingy as an iconic piece of Coronation Street "wardrobe".

And now we have a better clue. Flaming Nora dug up this photo from an episode in the 1970s that clearly shows the belt! Well, while it's obviously not the very same belt in this picture, we can clearly see that our Deirdre has always been fond of a belted chain. This picture is taken from a 1970s episode in which the belt featured in a storyline involving little baby Tracy and feckless husband Ray.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...