Tuesday 15 July 2014

Tuesday Musings (spoiler at the end, returning character)


(This post was originally posted by Graeme N on the Coronation Street Blog in July 2014, reposted with permission.)

There is a spoiler at the end of this article about a character returning to the show but no storylines themselves are mentioned. You were warned. 

I've just spent two and a half hours catching up with all the Corrie I've missed while I've been away. I don't often watch big blocks of it in one go and I must admit my eyes were going together by the end. Anyway, here are my musings on what I saw:

More Emily! I loved seeing more of Emily Bishop. Eileen Derbyshire is shamefully underused and as we saw last week, she is still more than capable of putting in terrific performances. It was a great reminder that there is a lot more to the character than meets the eye. One of the longest-serving and most loyal Corrie actors deserves many more moments like these.

Less Nick! As much as I admire Corrie for tackling the brain injury issue, I do think we've reached that point where things need to move on. "Angry Nick" isn't working for me, it's more than a little irritating and it became tired months ago. Nick seems to be fulfilling the nasty stunt quota previously carried by his brother David. Let's move on shall we?

A more spirited Gail. Although I'm yet to decide what I make of Michael, it has been refreshing to see Gail in a more positive storyline with an influence away from her family. I have enjoyed the scenes that show Gail realising there is a life away from meddling in the lives of her sons. I'd like to see this develop further - David and Nick really do need to bog off and let her live her life.

Annoying Andrea. I just can't take to this character. I feel so sorry for Lloyd, he has even less luck with the ladies than Steve. Andrea just hasn't gelled for me. Too much time is being spent on her when I would prefer to see Lloyd develop a relationship with his daughter Jenna. Anyway, I'd ditch Andrea as soon as possible, she's trouble.

There's something about Mary. I like the calmer, less crazy Mary. She can be a very sweet, intuitive, sympathetic character when she wants to be. She just needs more of a grounding in Weatherfield. She still floats about, presumably living in that massive motorhome with no fixed employment. The writers need to invest in the character and create more interesting material for her.

Tracy Luv. How many times will Tracy sink lower than a really low thing and get away with it? Selling Uncle Albert's war medal was unforgivable. I know Deirdre let her have it, but as usual they will be empty promises. For a very moral programme like Corrie surely Tracy has had all her chances by now? She is morally bankrupt with no redeemable qualities and needs to get what's coming to her...and then leave.

And talking of bankruptcy...the Windass dramas continue. I think it is admirable for Corrie to take this storyline in this direction. It is about time food banks got a mention and Debbie Rush is wonderful whatever the script writers throw at her. I just feel enough is enough. The Windass family have dominated our screens all year now and we're nearly in August. I know there is a Faye storyline on the way now too so obviously there is not going to be any let up. Time to give someone else a chance?

What would Elsie say? Dennis is a lovely link to the past and one of Corrie's most iconic characters, Elsie, very rarely even gets a mention. I still cannot fathom why you would go to the trouble to bring back a character like Dennis without a concrete plan of what to do with him. Marrying him off to Rita did neither characters any favours. I struggle to believe that the Corrie writing team couldn't come up with some interesting stories for a mature married couple finding love later in life. Such a waste. 

Ending on a positive note, I still love Kal's mum Yasmeen. She is spirited and tough and speaks her mind. Hopefully plenty to come from her. I also love Eva behind the Rovers bar. A very good character who could potentially be brilliant given the right material. I know this might be controversial, but I'm also really looking forward to seeing Jim McDonald back on our screens. I love this character so hopefully he'll be around for a good long time. 

Follow me on Twitter @GraemeN82 



Follow the Bluenose CorrieBlog on Twitter and Facebook

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...