Wednesday 17 April 2013

Dev and Deirdre, Round 2?


(This post was originally posted by Graeme N on the Coronation Street Blog in April 2013.)

A vaguely unpleasant thought crossed over me late last night as I tried to get to sleep. When I tell you what it is you'll all be advising me to switch my hot milk before bedtime for something a whole lot stronger.

Last night we watched as poor Sunita departed to the great Weatherfield in the sky. Actually, imagine that - a big Weatherfield heaven full of all the old faces. Anyway I digress. My immediate thought was who would provide Devendra with the much needed comfort he'll rely on to get through these difficult times. 





Like a fag-scented boomerang bashing him in the face, one image appeared in my night terrors. The manchester tart herself, Deirdre Hunt Langton Barlow Rachid Barlow. 

Now these two do have past form (I know we've all used that big bottle of collective mind bleach on those scenes) but the question is, would the powers that be put us through that again?




I've mentioned recently how badly Deirdre needs a storyline of her own. I think Anne Kirkbride has been badly served by the Corrie writers of late - Tracy's return has pushed Deirdre into the background of her daughter's storylines and really weakened a once strong, determined, independent woman. 

Now I'm not saying a fumble with the Corner Shop King would solve this issue, but at least it would turn the spotlight on Deirdre for a change. Also, wouldn't it be lovely for Deirdre to be the one shocking Tracy instead of it always being the other way round?

I don't know - I'm firmly on the fence on this one. One minute the idea completely repulses me, the next I think it would be a great way to shake things up a bit. 

What do you think?



Follow the Bluenose CorrieBlog on Twitter and Facebook

1 comment:

missusmac said...

ewwww. That was a dark time on the street. If I recall, shortly before, or shortly after the Deidre dalliance, Dev took up with Tracy. (I remember clothes bring thrown out a window, can't remember if it was his or hers.)
I could see Dev and Stella, united in their grief. Jason ain't long for this relationship, I think. It's not the age difference, IMO, she's just a cow to him.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...