Wednesday 12 August 2015

Cathy Matthews - what's she up to with Roy?

(This post was originally posted by Flaming Nora on the Coronation Street Blog July 2015, reposted to this blog with permission.)

What do you think of Cathy Matthews so far?  The reason I'm asking is that I think there's a lot more going on with Cathy than we first thought.

When it was announced that Roy was going to get a new lady friend, I breathed a sigh of relief that the official press release said that Cathy wasn't being brought in as Roy's girlfriend. She's been a friend to Roy, they've bonded at the allotment and now she's spending time with him as his friend on the Street.

We know she's got problems, what with the hoarding and all, and in her way she's a lot like Roy too.  In a way, it's reassuring that Cathy is almost as socially awkward as Roy is, if not more so.  But will their friendship turn into something more, I wonder, and I have to admit, I think it might not.

And I'm not sure if I want it to. This isn't out of some sense of loyalty to Hayley, although I have that in spades, but it's because I don't trust Cathy and I think she's playing Roy - slowly and subtly. For what, I'm not sure. But there's something about Cathy that makes me wonder what she's up to with our Roy.

Paparazzi pictures released recently show Roy and Cathy enjoying a day by the seaside at Blackpool. They look happy together, eating ice-cream and having a paddle in the shallows. Why Blackpool, though?  Would Roy really take Cathy to his special place that holds so many memories of Hayley for him? I wonder if Blackpool is a special place for Cathy; perhaps it's where her husband and she used to go and it holds special memories for her too?

Cathy's a complicated character, more so than I first thought, and Melanie Hill is playing her superbly. Roy seems to be becoming rather irritated by Cathy of late, and I wonder if he'll try to pull away from her soon?

I'm intrigued to see where Roy and Cathy's friendship goes next, if indeed, it goes anywhere at all.

What do you think about Cathy - are her motives pure and simple and friendly or do you think there's more to her than first meets the eye?



Follow the Bluenose CorrieBlog on Twitter and Facebook

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...