Friday 18 January 2013

Should we call time on Corrie's Ken?

(This post was originally posted by Graeme N on the Coronation Street Blog in December 2012.)

This could be another controversial blog post, I'm not sure. I have been pondering this for a while and I'm seriously wondering whether it is time for Ken Barlow to retire from our favourite cobbled street. 


Yes, I know the character is often regarded as legendary, but the question I ask is why so? Apart from the fact Ken has been present since the very first episode of Coronation Street back in December 1960, is his character that remarkable? I know he has had countless affairs, with children scattered across the British Isles, but does he still have much to offer in the 21st Century? 

I just can't help but think the other mature characters are more integrated into the Coronation Street community and are therefore more capable of still surprising us viewers. Ken seems to be trapped in a cycle of affairs, arguments with Deirdre and mild disapproval of his family and their increasingly depraved antics. While I would miss either Rita or Emily deeply should the time come, I'm not sure I would feel the same about our Kenneth.
Although surrounded by an ever growing and constantly evolving family he never seems that bothered with any of them. This was the man who sent his twins to Glasgow rather than attempt life as a single parent after Val went up with the maisonettes. And when was the last time he mentioned his son Daniel, from his relationship with Denise Osborne? When Peter was close to death following the tram crash everyone else was in bits while Ken looked like he was suffering from trapped wind. I did however enjoy the scenes with mother in law Blanche - she was great at bringing him down a peg or two! Remember his attempts to write a novel?

So should he leave, and eventually he'll have to, how would we like it to happen? I have two suggestions: either he snaps and murders Tracy, leading him to be sent down for his crimes. Or perhaps and old flame could return and release him from his endless Weatherfield misery? My favourite for such a storyline would be the ever lovely Joanna Lumley, returning as Elaine Perkins. That would be terrific!


So is it time Ken left? Or do you see him turning into the 21st Century Albert Tatlock? And if Ken did leave, what would happen to Deirdre? 



Follow the Bluenose CorrieBlog on Twitter and Facebook

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like your idea of having him snap and murder Tracey. That way Ken gets a storyline that revives his character and we don't have to listen to Tracey anymore.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...