Tuesday 3 May 2016

What a night at the UK Blog Awards!

 
(This post was originally posted by Graeme N on the Coronation Street Blog in April 2016, reposted with permission.)

 
Ah the morning after the night before. Thankfully there was no Liz McDonald style walk of shame home after the UK Blog Awards bash in Central London. What a night! Emma Hynes and I were so proud to represent this wonderful blog and all our fellow, massively talented bloggers.

I'm not quite sure either Emma or myself could quite take in the spectacle of the UK Blog Awards. I had certainly never attended anything quite like it before. We all agreed the Coronation Street Blog was already a winner, shortlisted as we were in two categories - Arts and Culture and Most Innovative. I must take a moment here to mention that the blog had to enter not as an individual blog but as a company. This is apparently because we are a team. I do take issue with this as we are far from being anything corporate or a company. We all do this because we love it, because we love Corrie and because we love interacting with fellow fans. 

 

Anyway, I'll get off my soap box. The night itself was mind boggling, fantastic and at times hilarious. Emma and I scrubbed up pretty well (even if I do say so myself). We really went for it, embracing the outrageous nature of it all and letting our hair down. However we also felt a huge responsibility representing the blog team, all of whom we respect and think of as friends. 

I think we were both rather nervous before we joined the party, unsure of what to expect. Many of our fellow bloggers at the ceremony seemed much more at home at this kind of event than we did but we were most definitely proud of our achievement. The whole ethos of the UK Blog Awards is admirable and there were many worthy winners (sadly we weren't amongst them this year) however it was also pretty corporate which isn't really to my taste. Well done to all those who organised a cracking night though!

 

Emma and I mingled amongst the "interactive networking", the glasses of prosecco and the edible flower canapes (yes really) and before we knew it, it was time to take our seats. Thankfully the ceremony itself was short and sweet, no speeches from the winners, just a quick handshake and a photo with the judges. What amazed me was the sheer diversity of subjects people choose to blog about! However unique so many of the finalists were, there was definitely nothing else like the Coronation Street Blog represented on the night. 

Afterwards, there was more bubbly, a rather alarming disco (Emma and I took the weight off in a corner, much like Emily and Mavis at Gail's 21st birthday party in the Rovers Select circa 1979) and we finally discovered what "bowl food" was. Yes, food in a bowl. We also got our hands on some lovely goodie bags, full of rather random but lovely little trinkets (and most importantly, chocolate). As we headed off just before the witching hour, I think we both felt really privileged to have experienced such a wonderful evening. I couldn't have asked for a better partner in crime than the lovely Emma. I hope we did the blog proud.

I'm afraid I'm already at an age where I couldn't wait to get home to put my feet up and have a cup of tea but I still had an amazing time. Even though we didn't win, we can all still be incredibly proud of our achievements, both at the UK Blog Awards and with the Coronation Street Blog in general. We wouldn't have been there last night without all our loyal readers who voted so enthusiastically for the blog, so thank you all once again. We also wouldn't have been there without the lovely Glenda, our esteemed editor who keeps this blog flourishing and supports us all so well.  


Here's to next year's UK Blog Awards, Bring it on! 

You can follow me on Twitter @GraemeN82



Follow the Bluenose CorrieBlog on Twitter and Facebook

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...