Wednesday 6 July 2011

Claire Peacock - an under-rated character? (Contains possible spoiler)


I'm curious as to how the current storyline about Coronation Street's Claire Peacock (played by Julia Haworth) is going to develop.
They've brought out some pretty powerful stuff with this one, not least regarding distasteful attitudes towards mental health. Claire's been suspected of harming a child - Dev and Sunita's son Aadi - and because of her history of mental health problems many people are more than willing to jump to the wrong conclusion. I think this is really interesting and I hope that the writers find a way to play this out to a satisfactory conclusion, without allowing the Sophie/Sian storyline to swamp it.
(SPOILER warning)
I'll be very sorry to see the Peacocks leave (that's if they DO leave!) Ashley has been really enjoyable to watch, and I think Claire has been under-rated. I've always admired the way she's handled some really heavy-duty storylines.  Apparently she is a keen writer and has recently made a short film. Info. about post natal depression and other mental health issues here.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...