Wednesday 24 August 2011

What do you think of Becky McDonald?


(This post was originally posted by Seapenguin on the Coronation Street Blog September, 2010, reposted to this blog with permission.)


I'm wondering what the Coronation Street "script boffins" are cooking up next for Becky McDonald, nee Granger (played by Katherine Kelly).
Is she going to become a long term fixture at the Rovers, or is there going to be a massive Steve and Becky bust up next year, triggered by Tracy getting sprung from the nick? Personally, I'm hoping for the latter. Even - and that's a big "even" - if it means seeing more of Kate Ford as Tracy. I liked Becky as Kelly's nasty mate - a horrible character but really well-played and great to watch. But I've never been comfortable with the gushy Becky/Steve relationship, or convinced by Becky playing a central role in the Rover's.

It's always felt to me as if she was just parachuted in. It's frustrating because there is obviously a huge back-story with Becky and if she's to continue as a main character I'd like to see them develop that a bit more.
Perhaps that's on the way? Maybe I'm clutching at straws but I've sensed a slight edge creeping into Katherine's playing of Becky since the awful Kylie appeared - just a hint of something steely in the eyes which might signal something meatier in the wings - and I don't mean one of Betty's hotpots. And I certainly don't mean a pathetic baby-buying plot. I'll be delighted if I'm right.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

I've never really warmed up to her. She was ok as Kelly's cellmate, but I would have been happy to leave it at that.

Tvor said...

I really like the character and the actor and i've always enjoyed her.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...