Saturday 27 October 2012

Stuart Blackburn to be new Coronation Street producer

(This post was originally posted by Flaming Nora on the Coronation Street Blog October 2012, reposted to this blog with permission.)

Stuart Blackburn has been appointed as the new producer of Coronation Street, succeeding current boss Phil Collinson in the role says the offiicial ITV Corrie site.

Blackburn, who has been working as Emmerdale's series producer since early 2011, will take up the position in January 2013.

Phil Collinson will remain at ITV in a new role working with Kieran Roberts to develop new drama from ITV's base in Manchester.

Speaking of his new post, Blackburn commented: "I'm in the very privileged position of producing Emmerdale's hour-long live episode to celebrate the programme's 40th birthday, and I get to produce Coronation Street too. Life just couldn't get any better. Emmerdale is a very special programme to me, as I was born and brought up in West Yorkshire. I'm in total admiration of the cast and production team as they are all incredibly talented people. They do an amazing job and I'll be sad to leave them. Coronation Street also has a place in my heart, as I believe passionately in storytelling, and although I recognise it's a massive responsibility, I have the best job in the world."

Phil Collinson said: "It's been an honour to produce Coronation Street and I'll be sad to leave. But the drama can only stay at the top of its game if the producer is re-energised every two to three years. By the time I say farewell I'll have been with the programme for nearly three years and produced almost 750 episodes. It's an achievement I'm hugely proud of, but I know I couldn't have done it without the amazing production team, writers, cast and crew who work tirelessly to produce the best drama on television. I thank them all from the bottom of my heart. I wish Stuart every success, and look forward now to taking up my new role developing drama and producing brand new drama from our base in Manchester."

Well, well, well. So this tabloid spoiler was true after all.

There's an interview online with the incoming Coronation Street producer Stuart Blackburn.

Stuart was interviewed by 5 live's Richard Bacon who, to be fair, asked some proper, good questions.  And to also be fair to Stuart, he managed to evade giving proper, good answers!

Stuart Blackburn was a story editor on Corrie until he joined Emmerdale as producer in 2009.

Listen to the short but sweet interview online here


Follow the Bluenose CorrieBlog on Twitter and Facebook

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...