Thursday 22 November 2012

Who would make the perfect Rovers landlady?

(This post was originally posted by Graeme N on the Coronation Street Blog November 2012, reposted to this blog with permission.)

Following on from my previous blog, I thought I would change course slightly and be a little more positive. If the powers-that-be decided to axe the current Rovers landlady (she of the back room), who would make a good replacement? In my mind the landlady of the Rovers Return should always be one of the most important characters in the show, and that's why the current lacklustre landlady is so disappointing. 


For me, there has only ever been one truly great Rovers boss - the fabulous Mrs Annie Walker. I loved how she had ideas above her station and always aspired to greater things, knowing deep down that the Rovers was her lot in life. There was so much mileage for the writers in her snobbish ways. For over twenty years we watched her lord it over her staff and customers alike. She believed herself to be in a different class compared to most of her regulars, although she did have a soft spot for Ken who she saw as an intellectual equal. Just proves everyone is allowed the odd error of judgement. Who can forget her rivalry with Nellie Harvey? Her love/hate relationship with Hilda Ogden? And remember how we all shared her shock and horror when she discovered Renee Roberts did not stock vichyssoise in the Corner Shop? I wonder if Dev does now?


Anyway, I digress. Who would be the best modern day landlady for the Rovers Return? I discount Bet Lynch/Gilroy/Lynch straight away as too much water has passed under the bridge. My three suggestions would be:


Lillian Spencer - As close to Annie Walker as we're ever likely to see, I adored Maureen Lipman's portrayal of the snooty temporary manager. I believe she was brought in at short notice after Julie Goodyear cut her contract short. Lillian stole every scene she was in and made a great double-act with Fred Elliott. I would love to see her return to the Rovers complete with her mynah bird and Austin Allegro. We could do without her offspring though.


Shelley Unwin - It took a while for me to warm to Shelley, however she made a great Rovers barmaid in the end. Sally Lindsay was terrific in the part and despite spending six years in her bedroom thanks to Charlie Stubbs, I never grew tired of her. If they ever do bring Shelley back, let's hope they don't do to her what they've done to her old pal Sunita.



Claudia Colby - I loved Rula Lenska's portrayal of Audrey's friend and rival. Audrey needs a best mate for adventures and fun - she hasn't had one since Alma's sad demise. I love Audrey as a matriarch but I long for the old floozy to make a reappearance. Claudia had great screen presence and would, I think, be perfect landlady material. The writers could have a lot of fun with a Claudia/Audrey lock-in at the Rovers.

So who would you love to see behind the bar at the Rovers Return? And while you're at it cock, mine's a large G&T.






Follow the Bluenose CorrieBlog on Twitter and Facebook

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...