Wednesday 20 March 2013

Corrie's Katy and Ryan: Do you care?


(This post was originally posted by Graeme N on the Coronation Street Blog in February 2013.)

No I don't either. The thing that shocks me most is that Prima Doner is yet to be shut down by the Weatherfield branch of Environmental Health. All that snogging and sweaty angst can't be doing much for the flavour of Dev's kebabs.

Now this is just my opinion but all this is completely unnecessary and smacks of a quiet desperation from within the Coronation Street writing team. How many "illicit" affairs have we the viewer had to suffer through over the past few months? 

What is particularly unappealing about this most recent coupling is that both participants are so poorly drawn, so beige and uninteresting that I don't come down on either side. Which I guess is what the powers that be would hope with these stories - that the viewers invest in them and take sides. Not something I'll be doing this time.

The main problem for me is that neither Katy or Ryan are strong enough characters to carry a storyline on their own. We haven't been given the opportunity to invest in them at all, both have been thrown in at the deep end. Ryan, as the Street's latest bad boy hunk, launched amid much publicity and silly photo shoots. And Katy, dropped in as the latest youngster forced to grow up fast. To be fair, it's no wonder she is craving a little excitement, but perhaps she should have realised that before she settled down.

From what we've seen it doesn't look like this story will go on for that much longer. The highlight for me looks to be when Gary Windass gives Ryan a good slap. Personally, I don't have any time for either character. Katy is saved by her involvement with Izzy and Chesney. As for Ryan, I can't see anything saving him.

What do you think of this latest Corrie affair plot? Are you enjoying it or can you not wait for it to be over? Do you even care?


Follow the Bluenose CorrieBlog on Twitter and Facebook

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree, I don't even care.

Anonymous said...

Agreed. The writers are trying to inject something here, but I can't for the life of me see what. No character development and very weak story line. The new Ryan is one of the most boring and predictable males on the street ever, with no redeeming qualities at all. I thought he and Tracy deserved each other. The only current story line now is Kirstie et al. And even that has strained my patience and tolerance of stupidity in characters who used to have at least a couple of brain cells to rub together.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...