Friday 28 June 2013

Why Corrie's Sean makes me yawn

(This post was originally posted by Graeme N on the Coronation Street Blog in June 2013.)

Urgh. I do try my best with all of Coronation Street's characters and storylines but sometimes I run out of patience. Hard to believe, I know! Please Corrie Powers That Be, do something with Sean Tully!

I admit I am finding the current Marcus and Maria story a trifle cringeworthy. I like both characters and I have nothing against what the storyliners are trying to do here. It is an interesting take on the usual "coming out" stories that seem to be ten a penny these days in both Corrie and its less auspicious competitors. The fly in the ointment for me is Sean's involvement. I just cannot stand him.

When Sean first appeared back in 2003 he was actually a breath of fresh air. His character was bright, cheerful and funny. And as with all decent Corrie characters, there was a vulnerability lurking behind the brash exterior. However over time, Sean has completely lost his way. 

It feels to me like the writers just don't know what to do with him. However unlike many other cases when this has happened, for some reason they don't get rid. I just don't understand why.

I no longer enjoy watching him on screen. Other people have commented that he is one big stereotype. What bothers me more is how unpleasant and catty he has become. His role in the Marcus and Maria story has been grim from the outset. He constantly plays the pouting schoolboy and it's very tired. 

With the reappearance of Todd Grimshaw on the horizon, you must wonder where this leaves Sean. I know people have said the actor has had his contract extended for another year, but where can the character go? The writers either need to calm him down and try to revert to how he was in the early days, or he needs to go. He also needs to clear out of Eileen's and stand on his own two feet. 

I've just watched Friday's episode and all I can say is, poor Marcus and Maria! Sean just loved stirring it up and making them both feel as uncomfortable as possible. Now, what's bright, cheerful or funny about that?


Follow the Bluenose CorrieBlog on Twitter and Facebook

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sean needs a challenge. Let's have Violet die leaving Sean to be full time daddy. He'd need his oown place, could have issues with acceptance at school but most of the Street would rall behind him. I am sure there are many ways this could help show that gay parents face the same child raising issues..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...