Tuesday 20 September 2016

Picking Your Corrie Favourites

 
(This post was originally posted by Graeme N. on the Coronation Street Blog in August 2016, reposted to this blog with permission.)


The other day on Twitter I was asked to pick my seven favourite Coronation Street characters. An enjoyable bit of fun but it probably reveals more about ourselves, what we like and what we don't than we might immediately think. 

For anyone interested, my pick of characters were: Alma Baldwin, Audrey Roberts, Hilda Ogden, Betty Turpin, Annie Walker, Ena Sharples and Elsie Tanner. For those who know me there aren't many surprises there. Of course they are all women but that's not necessarily surprising as the foundations of Corrie have always been strong, vibrant female characters. Also, only one of my top seven are currently appearing in the show - Audrey. The rest are either dead on screen or in real life. 

I've always said I prefer much of what has gone before in Corrie than what we have now and that's not to say there aren't plenty of positives today before anyone cuts in! My friend and fellow blogger Emma also took part and she went the other way, choosing seven male characters. I was surprised by this, particularly in her penchant for Pat Phelan and Peter Barlow, but perhaps she was having an off day...

 

Anyway, with daft games like this it's sometimes more about who you leave out than who you include. For me, there were a few who nearly made the cut - Mavis, beautifully brought to life by that wonderful actress Thelma Barlow and yes, two men - Mike Baldwin, the best, more enduring Corrie character I've loved to hate and that lovable rogue Jack Duckworth portrayed by the sublime Bill Tarmey for so many years.

One of the hardest choices was not to include either Emily or Rita. If I had to pick I'd probably go for Emily as Eileen Derbyshire has kept her closest to her original character. Emily has matured in an extremely believable way and Derbyshire's quiet, non-showy performances are perhaps only know seen for what they are now she's no longer in the show. By the way, ITV , is Emily ever coming back? If Eileen has decided to quietly withdraw, please just tell us so we can respect her decision, wish her well and move on. 

Anyway, have a go yourself, which seven Corrie characters would you pick as your favourites?

 

You can follow me on Twitter @GraemeN82



Follow the Bluenose CorrieBlog on Twitter and Facebook

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...