Wednesday 21 March 2018

Ken Barlow - the Don Corleone of Coronation Street?

(This post was originally posted by Flaming Nora on the Coronation Street Blog January 2018, reposted to this blog with permission.)


In an interview with The Radio Times, William Roache, who plays Ken Barlow, has repeated his statement that he'll never retire from the show. It's a statement he's quoted on often and it's good to hear it, too.

William is 85 years old now and has been a mainstay on Coronation Street since it began in December 1960.

Asked whether he would ever retire, Roache says in the new issue of Radio Times: “No! I never think about it. I enjoy what I’m doing and I’m lucky in that I’m in a job where I can age. I’m actually falling to bits in front of people’s eyes and that’s what I’m meant to do. If I were playing James Bond, I’d grow out of the age where I could play the role. But Ken Barlow is me – he’s getting older and I’m getting older with him.

“There is a superannuated Don Corleone element to Ken. If you look at Ken’s family, he has a daughter who’s a serial killer and a son who’s an alcoholic bigamist, so they’re like a little Mafia family and I try to keep them all together.”








Tvor @tvordlj on Twitter

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...