Tuesday 23 April 2013

My current Corrie highs and lows

(This post was originally posted by Graeme N on the Coronation Street Blog in April 2013.)

Here we go with a quick round up of what this Corrie fan is loving and loathing in Coronation Street at the moment. Just my own personal views and opinions, but please feel free to comment and share your own thoughts!

We may as well start with some positives:

- I admit I did quite enjoy Sylvia's recent storyline involving the hash brownies and a return to the infamous 1 O'Clock Club. As far as I am concerned the performances of Stephanie Cole, Barbara Knox and Philip Lowrie raised this idea from being potentially embarrassing and repetitive into a fun interlude. I'd love to see move of the Sylvia/Dennis double act!

- I am happy the powers that be have given Tyrone and Fiz a happy ending, at least for now. While discussions over whether brown or red sauce is better may seem humdrum after all the Kirsty drama, it does make a refreshing change. They will never be the "new Jack and Vera" but then they really shouldn't try. More lighthearted stories for this pair please.

- I am actually quite enjoying the villainous Karl. Yes, I know it involves more scenes with Stella and Gloria and I am far from their greatest fans, but John Michie is terrific at the moment. I only hope it doesn't get repetitive and follow the serial killer by numbers storylines we've seen in recent years.

Now for some negative points:

- The Paul and Eileen scenes have been AWFUL. I used to love Eileen but the relationship with Paul is just dragging her down. I actually considered turning off on Monday  evening as the boredom levels were becoming unbearable! I know Paul will be departing our screens soon so I hope the writers can then take Eileen back to her roots. She used to be strong, brash and funny. I also don't buy their current storyline - Eileen must have been aware of the risks. When we first met Paul he was trying to save Molly during the tram crash. Has Eileen honestly not thought of that since? And if we, the viewers, were meant to care about Toni's passing we should at least have met her more than five episodes before her demise.

- I just hate the way Stella has treated Jason. Yes, we know the writers are setting it all up for a big Karl and Stella reconciliation but she really has been unpleasant. She has been hot and cold with him for weeks, supporting Karl and dismissing Jason again and again. She has slowly frozen the poor lad out while knowing exactly what she will do next. And for a grown woman she allows her mother far too much say in her life! Very annoying! The low point came with Stella dumping Jason down the back alley with Karl spectating. Yuck!

- The ongoing surrogacy storyline fails to get any better in my eyes! I don't mind Tina so much these days although I still struggle to understand why she would get involved in this. I used to really enjoying watching most of the main players in this but the surrogacy plot seems to have turned them all on their heads! Anna has become a pushy, thoughtless shrew (her butting in on Dev on Monday was very selfish). Meanwhile Gary is slowing moving in on Tina as we all knew would happen. I have a horrible feeling poor Izzy is going to be left out in the cold, which will see 'orrible Owen back to his bullyboy best (or worst). 



Finally a quick mention for the Corrie Cupboard. In my view there are certain characters we just are not seeing enough of at the moment.
We haven't seen Audrey in weeks. Both Lloyd and Steve pop in and out but I think it is time both were brought back to the fore, hopefully in a storyline together. 

Marcus is another character who has been on the periphery for too long and we can add Tommy Duckworth to that list. I would also love some more scenes involving Kirk, Beth and Craig. And finally, what are they doing with Dr Carter? He surely deserves a proper story?


So what do you think about Corrie at the moment? What do you like and what do you loathe?


Follow the Bluenose CorrieBlog on Twitter and Facebook

2 comments:

Anonymous said...


I agree with you concerning the missing characters. Although in all honesty I have not missed Gail or David at all. Where is Amy we haven't see her for ages is she going to turn up like Sarah with a new head and a snotty attitude with a mother like Tracey it wouldn't surprise me at all. But the last thing we need is another bratty child we already have Faye and Simon for that.

missusmac said...

Where is Amber, man?
I know she and Sunita were at daggers in the end, but she loves her dad. I didn't even hear Dev mention her in the list of relatives who were too ashamed to come.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...