Monday 11 April 2016

Beverley Callard speaks out about her depression battle

(This post was originally posted by Flaming Nora on the Coronation Street Blog April 2016, reposted to this blog with permission.)

Beverley Callard has given an interview to The Mirror about her depression battle and explains how she broke down on the set of Coronation Street

Beverley says that she sunk into such a deep depression that she’d lost all her confidence.

“At first no one knew I was struggling. I wanted to keep it a secret.But I was getting worse and worse each day. I was getting ready in my dressing room and I couldn’t take it any more. Liz had to be dressed up for a certain scene – she had to wear a PVC outfit. Fear took over and I started to cry. I thought, ‘I’m not confident enough to put this on. I can’t do it’.”

“A few days later, I was behind the bar in the Rovers when depression swamped me like a big blanket,” she says. “I thought, ‘I’m not brave enough to do this today'. I was crying and one of the make-up girls said, ‘You’re not well, are you, darling?’ ‘No’, I said. ‘I’m really not’. Bosses then sent me home.”

That was two weeks ago and today Beverley, speaks about her torment for the first time in an exclusive interview to the Mirror given to help other sufferers of clinical depression.

Please read it, it's here.

Beverley hopes to return to work next month. “The bosses have been fantastic, they’ve told me to take my time,” she says. “They want me well and firing on all cylinders. I want to say to people like me, ‘You will get better – the only thing is, you’ve got to be strong enough to ask for help.

"The stigma surrounding mental health is not as bad as it used to be, but we have a long way to go – and we’ve got to keep on fighting.

“If I can do it, anyone can.”




Deirdre: A Life on Coronation Street - official ITV tribute to a soap icon. Available here.


Follow the Bluenose CorrieBlog on Twitter and Facebook

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...