Saturday 23 November 2013

Poor Old Steve


(This post was originally posted by Graeme N on the Coronation Street Blog in November 2013.)

I'm all for strong female characters in Coronation Street, but exactly what were Liz and Michelle on last night? I don't know, but their treatment of Steve got right on my nerves.

I know Steve is often portrayed as a buffoon, but he is an extremely likeable character and I love seeing him back behind the bar at the Rovers. Liz I can tolerate, Michelle less so. Really though, was all that necessary last night? Steve was only trying his best to be a good dad to Amy (remember her? Yes, she even had dialogue last night!)

 I'm all for a bit of micky taking when a Corrie character gets a bit pompous, but I think Steve's decision to enrol at the local college was a brave one.

Michelle really has become a very annoying character, quite obviously thinking herself a cut above. She lords it over Steve in the Rovers, even though of course, the Rovers isn't really good enough for her. She's ungrateful, domineering and treats Steve like a doormat and a daft little boy. Now Baby Jane is back and the pair are turning into a rather overwhelming, gruesome twosome. It wouldn't hurt for either of them to be a bit more supportive to poor old Steve.

I'll stop moaning now. After all, having Liz and Michelle back behind the Rovers bar is still a hundred times better than what we've just seen the back of. I just hope future Rovers storylines balance out a bit to show that both Liz and Michelle are capable of a few personality flaws.

So do you think the powers that be have made improvements at the Rovers? Every time I catch a glimpse of the wonderful Betty on the wall of the pub, I can't help but think we'll never see her like again.



Follow the Bluenose CorrieBlog on Twitter and Facebook

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...