Tuesday 13 January 2015

State of the Street - December 2014

And so it's the end of another year on Coronation Street.  It was a year of ups and downs as far as storylines go. Mostly, for me, it was a good year. I think I tend to be a bit more forgiving of the show so I, for one, think it's as good as it ever was, if only that it's changed from what it used to be. For me, that's not really a bad thing necessarily.

Over the 25 years I've been watching, and judging from older video I've seen, it's always had it's good stuff and bad/boring stuff. In my mind, it has to move with the times and I don't think it would last if it was still the way it was 30 or 40 years ago. Society changes and you want viewers to see that on screen so they can identify with it, mostly at least. I mean, we don't want to identify with serial killers, of course. There have always been deaths, murders, weddings, affairs and "issue" storylines. Perhaps 5 episodes a week is too many and the cast is too big, so big that many characters don't get a look in for weeks or even months while others are the "flavour of the month" and are overused at times. I certainly agree with critics about that.

Anyway. As always, it's just my opinion and I still love Corrie as much as I ever did. Back to the topic of the post. For the last month of the year, we see Tracy up to her old tricks, Steve sinking even further into depression (one of the year's most powerful stories along with Hayley's death and Roy's grief. Both storylines performed by top, absolutely amazing actors). Gary and Alya are in danger of becoming Romeo and Juliet if their families' reactions are anything to go on. Sofa-gate lightened the mood but it was one of the only shining lights. Kylie was dragged down by Callum and David chucked her out. Gavin isn't really who he said he was and we can all see that Michael's heart might not take the shock.

All this and more on State of the Street.




Follow the Bluenose CorrieBlog on Twitter and Facebook

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...