Friday 7 November 2014

Surprise, Surprise! Cilla's Back!


(This post was originally posted by Graeme N on the Coronation Street Blog in October 2014, reposted with permission.)

Ah Cilla's back on the cobbles. No, not the Liverpudlian song bird, the other one, she of the 666 wedding day kiss curls. Ahem. I'm hopeful Cilla's temporary return will lift us all out of the Peter-Carla-Rob-Tracy trial-athlon. A bit of light relief would be just the ticket.

I must admit I found Cilla just too over the top during most of her original stint in Corrie. She was a character we could love to hate and her first couple of years were fine, but by the end I think it had gone too far and I was relieved when she left. While I was worried about it all kicking off again, I was glad to read Wendi Peters saying Cilla will be toned down a bit on her return. A little closer to actual reality would be an improvement. I think it will be interesting to see how she interacts with Fiz and Chesney now they are all grown up. And by the looks of it it will actually give Sinead something to do.

I don't know how others feel about returning characters, but I rather like the continuity of former street residents popping up from time to time. That doesn't mean I want a glut of former cast members turning up but it seems more realistic for old characters to reappear if they have current links with the street. If I had to choose which former characters I'd like to see again, however briefly, I just don't think Cilla would have been top of the list. 

I'd much rather see Fiona Middleton come back and tempt Steve away from Michelle. Or Angie Freeman return and take up her much forgotten share of Underworld. Kevin's sister Debbie could make an appearance which might even give him something interesting to do. And I'm sure Flaming Nora would love for Spider to pop in to visit his Auntie Em. 


Follow the Bluenose CorrieBlog on Twitter and Facebook

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...