Monday 2 June 2014

Less is More


(This post was originally posted by Graeme N on the Coronation Street Blog in May 2014.)

The highlight of Corrie for me last week was that short scene between Eileen and Jason, alone in the house after she had the very agreeable idea of kicking the rest of them out. It was so simple, real and touching. 

That kind of scene, a son taking the time to thank his mam for all she'd done for him, is in short supply these days, and that's a shame. It stuck in my mind long afterwards, unlike the majority of the rest of the offerings last week. 

Is it maybe time to return to the idea of less is more? 

Too much irritates me about Coronation Street these days and I'm always quite vocal about this. I don't see any point in hanging back when it's something I care about. I could use this blog to question whether Owen would really have sold his yard at such a low price, so quickly, and to that horrible Tony. I could rant endlessly about the ridiculous Tyrone-Maria-Fiz triangle. Surely the police would have caught up with Maria before now? It feels like giving the character a storyline just for the sake of it.


I could carp about how endless the Tina-Peter-Carla storyline seems to be and how at the end of it, all we have are three previously popular characters now drained of life and over-used. Peter's alcoholism storyline used to be wonderfully played, whereas now I dislike the character completely and just don't care. I could whinge on about the stupid sideline story which saw Gail and Katy compete to become gym receptionist for Dev and Kal's father (I can't even remember his name). 

Todd and Marcus. Again, Todd is still vile and we still don't know why. Would Marcus really fall for the charms of such a weasel? Taking Marcus back to Eileen's, Todd resembled the snake from the Jungle Book. 

I could write endlessly about why none of the above works for me. But I won't. Instead, I'll just say how wonderful the scene between Eileen and Jason was, in the hope it will encourage the writers to produce more of the same.


Follow me on Twitter @GraemeN82 



Follow the Bluenose CorrieBlog on Twitter and Facebook

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jason is one of my favorite characters, always has been. He is never scheming,just a nice straightforward guy. Who isn't bad to look at too! BONUS

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...