Monday 23 April 2012

Peter's Girls

(This post was originally posted by David on the Coronation Street Blog in January 2012.)

Now amongst everything that was going on with Becky during Monday’s double-bill, there were several other stories happening during the main action. One of those stories featured was the continuing Carla and Peter ‘saga’ which I’m going to admit right now – I’m getting tired of.

Strangely enough for a long time I had championed Peter and Carla’s relationship and I always wanted to see them getting together. But since their affair started I’ve realised just how right Leanne is for Peter and how much I value their relationship. It’s not often that we are treated to a family such as Peter, Leanne and Simon on the cobbles, who aside from being a great family unit continue to engage the audience with interesting storylines and those fun breakfast scenes in the flat are always episode highlights for me.

For example, although I liked Lloyd, Cheryl and Russ, as a family they were incredibly dull to watch. The same can be said for Ashley, Claire and the boys. They were a nice family to have on the show but as far as being interesting the most excitement we had out of them during their last couple of years on the show was Claire's rooftop panic and then her exit.

That’s something that can’t be said for the Barlows. Peter and Leanne make a great team and Simon adds a bucket load of comic relief. But most importantly they are usually always supported by a decent storyline with Peter’s alcoholism being the standout. And while it’s not a boring storyline by any means, the current Carla and Peter affair is not playing out in the fashion that I’d imagined all those months ago when Carla confessed to loving Peter.

Maybe I just don’t like affair storylines or maybe I just don’t want to see one of my favourite Corrie families being split up. I don’t know, but what I do know is that Peter and Carla do not make a good couple. They’ve both got their own issues and in a way those issues are what have brought them together but I don’t see Carla as the love of Peter’s life. And I’m really not happy seeing the Barlow’s going though another affair storyline. I'd love for this affair to be quitely swept away under the carpet as soon as possible, but somehow I don't think that's going to happen - especially after reading next week's spoilers. And it's a shame that they are going down this route with the Barlow's because I'd much rather see Peter and Leanne trying to have a baby and bringining their fmaily closer togehter and not tearing it appart by another affair.

What does everyone else think? I know a lot of people like Peter and Carla together but the Barlow’s have become one of the most beloved family units on the street so I can imagine that there’s a fair few people who feel the same.

Follow the Bluenose CorrieBlog on Twitter and Facebook

3 comments:

Trudy said...

Can't Carla find a man of her own without stealing someone else?

Tvor said...

she seems to have a habit of it doesn't she

Anonymous said...

And Peter can't seem to handle only one woman - why does he feel such a need to share? Genetics?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...